Candidates announced for inaugural Mike Richter Award
Let’s Play Hockey and the Herb Brooks Foundation announced today the 19 candidates for the inaugural Mike Richter Award, which annually honors the most outstanding goaltender in NCAA men’s hockey. The inaugural award will be presented at the 2014 NCAA Men’s Frozen Four in Philadelphia.
The candidates combine for a 2.20 goals-against average, a .926 save percentage and a grade-point average of 3.12.
Candidates for the Mike Richter Award were determined by nominations from all 59 NCAA Division I men’s hockey head coaches. The finalists and winner will be selected by a committee of coaches, scouts and members of the media.
Criteria for the Mike Richter Award:
- Candidates must display outstanding skills on the ice
- Candidates should be in good academic standing at an NCAA college or university
- Consideration should be given to academic achievement and sportsmanship
- Candidates must comply with all NCAA rules; be full-time students at an NCAA college or university; and complete 50 percent or more of
- Consideration should be given to the candidate’s activities in the community